Here you can find lots of useful information for, and about, city farms and community gardens in the Midlands. You can:
- Find gardens and farms in your local area via our interactive map or our search page.
- Find details of events by viewing the news and updates section below.
- Download a copy of the FCFCG Birmingham map and other useful publications.
- See the bottom of this page for contact details of the FCFCG staff team in the Midlands.
Midlands News & Events
Regularly updated with news of interest to community gardens in the English Midlands, plus details of training and networking events. You can also view images from our member groups and events in the Midlands via our FCFCG Midlands photostream.
- New community garden planned for Droitwich Spa, Worcestershire
- Outdoor community cooking workshop, Birmingham, 24th April
- Veolia EnviroGrant scheme offers small grants to Birmingham environmental projects
- FCFCG Member features on BBC report about thrifty gardening
- Radio Interview with FCFCG Midlands
- Regeneration East Midlands
New community garden planned for Droitwich Spa
FCFCG is supporting a new community garden project on Droitwich’s Westlands estate. The Farmer’s Way Community Garden project will encourage people to grow their own produce, eat more healthily and also provide space for outdoor cooking, play and family activities.
Outdoor community cooking workshop, Birmingham
This one-day workshop run by FCFCG in partnership with Growing Birmingham will cover:
- Guidelines and legal requirements for outdoor cooking and for selling produce.
- Juicing and cider making
- Key considerations when cooking with children and vulnerable adults
- Making lunch as a collective
The learning will be put into practice as the group prepares and cook together a locally sourced lunch using the cob oven, rocket stove, food smoker etc.
The event takes place from 10am - 5pm on Thursday, 24th April in Birmingham. The morning session is at Urban Veg, moving to Martineau Gardens at lunchtime. It costs £35 for FCFCG members, £75 for non-members. To book, please go to the registration page.
Veolia Birmingham Envirogrants scheme
Community groups based in Birmingham can apply for a small grant of up to £1,000 for projects which will improve their local environment. Grants are awarded twice a year, in June and December. For more information go to the Veolia website.
FCFCG Member features on BBC report about thrifty gardening
Coplow Street Community Garden in Ladywood, Birmingham features in a BBC report about saving money on gardening, for example by getting involved as a volunteer at a community garden. The piece is about five minutes into the video on this BBC website page.
Radio Interview with FCFCG Midlands
Listen to a radio interview with Midlands Development Worker Marie Wellings about her work, via the following MP3 link:FCFCG radio interview
FCFCG has produced a colourful map giving details of city farms and community gardens in the Birmingham area. You can download a pdf version by clicking on the link below:
Find details of funding opportunities for community gardens in Northern England. Includes long term funding and grants schemes. We also provide regular e-bulletins with funding information to our members.
Heidi Seary, Midlands Development Co-ordinator
Tel: 02476 675 211
Room 16, Koco Building
The Arches, Spon End
Coventry CV1 3JQ
Midlands Office Team:
From left to right: Heidi Seary, John Hirons (now retired), Keeley Thomas,
Mike Gee, Lynn Taylor, Ken Whittaker, Marie Wellings (now working for Warwickshire Community and Volunteer Action as well as Black Environment Network Global Food, Local Food project).