Growing a Healthy Community Garden: Gardens of Sanctuary (Birmingham)
An opportunity for anyone working within a community growing, garden or farm space to learn about Gardens of Sanctuary.
Where: Martineau Gardens, Birmingham
When: Thursday 12th December 2019, 10.00am - 3.30pm (arrival from 9.30am).
A workshop, sponsored by Dobies, for SF&G Members who are interested in learning more about welcoming refugees and asylum seekers into their gardens, and the importance of creating a network of places of sanctuary around the UK.
This workshop will be delivered by Sophie Antonelli (Social Farms & Gardens) and Ben Margolis (City of Sanctuary) and is suitable for both staff and volunteers.
As part of the workshop we will cover:
- The UK Asylum system and hostile environment - facts, challenges and misconceptions
- Working with people from different backgrounds and cultures
- Challenges for people seeking sanctuary
- Becoming a Garden of Sanctuary
For further reading and resources about becoming a Garden of Sanctuary we recommend looking through the resources on the Gardens of Sanctuary website in advance of this session.
Cost: £20 per person, including lunch. We would never want to exclude any organisation on the basis of cost. Contact Alison for more details: email@example.com
- A simple lunch and refreshments will be provided. Please advise us of any dietary requirements on booking.
- This event is for representatives from SF&G members only. Membership is open to any organisation that provides benefits to individuals/communities by engaging them in meaningful land-based activities (such as community managed gardens and farms, or care farms). Membership is free – it’s quick and easy to join here and there are lots of other membership benefits including product discounts. Not sure whether your organisation is already a member? Please contact us to find out.
This training is offered in partnership with Dobies who, as well as offering discounts on their products are sponsoring a year’s worth of vital training for members of Social Farms & Gardens. This training will support members to grow a healthy community garden and a healthy organisation.
27 Jacoby Place
|Social Farms & Gardens member||£ 20.00|
Event terms and conditions