A day for anyone in Aberdeen City involved, interested or looking to establish community growing activity in their setting. We also welcome anyone seeking to support and establish links with community growers in the city. We are aiming to map and acknowledge existing expertise, highlight and consult on the City's food growing strategy, and share learning and good practice through networking and afternoon workshops.
Where: Powis Community Centre, AB24 3YX
When: Tuesday 12th March 2019, 9.45am - 3.30pm
Programme for the day:
- Welcome and scene setting
- A brief introduction to Social Farms & Gardens and the support and resources available.
- CFINE- A snapshot of community growing in the city supported by CFINE
- Shaping the City food growing strategy- What is an FGS? How can community gardens be involved.
- Hear from Powis about their grassroots approach to engaging their community in developing local greenspace.
Networking lunch: if you have information, photos or resources you'd like to bring there will be some table space at lunchtime for a mini 'marketplace'.
Workshops on offer will include:
- Creating inclusive and accessible growing spaces -Top tips on engaging everyone in your garden setting with ease with Annie McIntosh from Healthy Minds
- Granite City Growing - Aberdeen City Council seek your ideas and help with shaping and delivering the food growing strategy.
- Windowsill growing for all - Come and discuss the therapeutic benefits of growing with Trellis whilst sowing some windowsill seeds.
- Gardening with children - How to engage people of all ages through their children led by One Seed Forward, top tips and 'quick wins' on getting kids (and others!) growing.
- Shaping a Community Learning Exchange - Would you like to see, hear and learn from other growers in Aberdeen? If yes, then what? Help shape a day of site visits and in depth discussion supporting communtiy growing practice and development in May 2019.
This event is free.
Please note this day is for those living and based in Aberdeen City and booking preference will be given to those from that area.
We ask that a maximum of 2 people book per group and that if for any reason you can't attend, please let us know as soon as possible so we can offer your place to someone else.
Please book early to avoid disappointment. If you'd like to discuss the day in more detail contact firstname.lastname@example.org
11 Powis Circle
Event terms and conditions