Insurance for SF&G members

We don’t offer insurance advice, but we do work with an independent insurance broker that specialises in insurance for both the voluntary and rural sectors. Their dedicated team understand the work of SF&G members and will provide you with a complimentary review of coverage, discuss your specific requirements and provide a policy tailored to your needs. In addition, they have agreed exclusive rates for our members. Through their independence, McClarrons have access to numerous specialist insurers, enabling them to provide cover for your organisation's individual needs. Should the worst happen, their in-house claims team will manage the claim on your behalf from start to final settlement. 

    On joining, members are given access to this broker; you can then discuss cover options with them based on the particular requirements of the group.

    • If your organisation is already a member of SF&G, find out more details about this scheme (login required), and get a no obligation quote.
    • If your organisation is not already a member you can join here.
    • If you are not sure whether your organisation is already a member, we can check for you. Please contact us and we can check email or tel. 0117 9231 800.

    "We heard about McClarrons insurance through Social Farms & Gardens - without that contact we would never have known, and we would have missed out! The service was extremely efficient, thorough and professional.

    We work across multiple sites and had an arson attack and break in, last year, so there was quite a lot of information to go through, but throughout, the staff were super helpful, friendly and kept everything simple. We ended up with better cover than we'd had and saved over a £100 pounds, which for a small charity like us, means a lot.  

    A big thank you to McClarrons and Social Farms & Gardens”

    Grow Cardiff

    Why insure?

    Having adequate insurance cover is vital for all farmers, gardeners and growers, whether you are providing care services, inviting visitors onto your site or organising volunteer work days and other events.

    Suitable cover protects both the organisation and individuals from potentially very expensive liability claims if something goes wrong.

    The types of cover needed will depend on the activities your group carries out, and a few different examples of how types of cover might be applied are given below.Insurance is not a substitute for good risk management practices.

    Useful guides on site health and safety, risk assessments and safeguarding can be found at

      What type of cover do we need?

      Below are a few examples of incidents and what type of insurance would cover this incident:

      Incident Type of cover
      Vandals set fire to the compost toilet Building cover
      Someone using a public access footpath across the site at night injures themselves on a piece of equipment Landlord’s liability/ Public liability
      You have to cancel an event due to bad weather losing deposits on, for example, marquees or entertainment Event insurance
      A visitor on an open day is injured by, for example a falling branch Public liability
      Equipment is stolen from a shed on-site Equipment cover
      A volunteer injures themselves with a gardening implement Employers liability
      A customer falls ill after eating produce that was grown in the garden Products liability
      You give out poor advice on a tree pruning workshop which results in the participants killing their trees Professional Indemnity
      Charity Commission investigates trustees, alleging non-compliance with charity law Trustee Indemnity
      Fire in a community café leading to loss of revenue Loss of Revenue


      Our Work

      We are the leading UK charity dedicated to supporting city farms, community gardens, care farms & other green spaces.