Roots4Life is an innovative charity set up to address the physical and mental health challenges that come with malnutrition, obesity and social isolation. Operating from the Baker Centre, a new community hub and 8.6-acre site in New Eltham, Royal Borough of Greenwich in London, our goal is to ensure access to a healthy life is a right for all. We are ambitious about our aims for the local area and Greenwich and will offer the following to address health inequalities, create a sustainable future and adhere to the Greenwich Good Food principles by:
● Kitchen school offering cooking lessons such healthy eating on a budget;
● Community-based and therapy horticultural including vegetable growing and Forest School;
● Fitness classes, mental health support groups and befriending services to reduce loneliness;
● Communal meals to encourage community integration and address social isolation;
● Volunteering opportunities to increase prosperity, employment and workforce diversity;
● New skills and employment training in horticulture, conservation, catering and nutrition;
● Sustainability through earned income including venue hire and corporate volunteering days;
● A Covid-19 safe environment including ‘shielding days’ for clinically vulnerable people.
Facilities: Cafe, Volunteering, Shop, Community space for hire, Picnic area, Community recycling/composting, Play activities, Holiday activities, Wildlife area, Sustainable/Green building on site
245 Footscray Road, next door to the Foots Cray Rugby Sports & Athletics Club.
Buses 321, 160, 233, 31
Nearest station: New Eltham (15 minutes from London Bridge)
Paid car parking on site via mobile phone. Free disabled car parking.
We do encourage local residents if able to walk or use public transport.
What events and activities do you have planned for the day?
Plant some seeds (sunflowers, spinach, spring onions and salads) and explore the 'Tim trail'. There will be a santising table close to the seed planting table which will be supervised by Roots4Life. Please wear trainers if wanting to explore the field. Please note this event is most suitable for the local community to SE9 and Greenwich as there will be no access indoors. There is a paid car park on site and free disabled car parking.
Will you be open on the day?
Roots4Life 'Have a go grow day' - Sat 5 June from 10 am
A short 30 minute session to celebrate 'Have a Grow Day' and to welcome the local community to our new centre and 8 acre site at Roots4Life.
You can either book as a family or small group up to 5 people. Groups will be expected to leave after their time slot has finished. To book a timed slot please email firstname.lastname@example.org