All about membership
Membership is FREE!
Social Farms & Gardens (SF&G) exists to support and represent the farmers, gardeners and growers who run life-changing projects in our urban and rural communities in the UK.
Social Farms & Gardens works to provide a strong voice for the sector by:
- Representing your interests to UK governments, funders and other key decision makers
- Spreading the word about the incredible work you do
- Influencing future policy so this has a positive impact on your work.
All our members benefit from this work – join us to help our voice become stronger.
Who can join?
Membership is open to any organisation delivering nature-based activities that improve people's lives. For example, the delivery of care services or community development through farming or gardening.
If you are an individual who is interested in our work but not currently part of an organisation that is eligible to join SF&G as a member, you can ask to be added to our mailing list and kept up to date about our work by completing this form.
How do we join?
This depends on where your organisation is based.
- In the UK or Republic of Ireland - use the 'Join Now' button at the bottom of this page.
- Outside the UK - please complete our application form for International membership.
Benefits of membership
Advice, training and networking opportunities
- Monthly webinars on topics relevant to and chosen by our members
- Monthly member gatherings (online) – An opportunity to meet, network and share experiences with other members across the UK
- Discounted attendance rates at our conferences, training and other events.
- Access to SF&G grants and bursaries, when available, for networking events or travel to learn from other organisations (subject to funding).
- Advice from our experienced staff team and specialist volunteer advisors.
- Membership of our specialist networks.
- SF&G members in England are now eligible for free or discounted membership of NCVO. NCVO provide advice and information to their members on a wide range of strategic, operational and practical benefits to help them make the greatest benefit for their beneficiaries.
Apply to go through our ‘Code of Practice’ process
The 'Code of Practice' is suitable for a range of farm and garden sites delivering commissioned services for those with a defined need including:
- Care farming
- Social & Therapeutic Horticulture (STH)
- Animal Assisted Therapies (AAT)).
The code is essentially a minimum standard - a clear set of guidelines - intended to meet the requirements of commissioners, referral agencies and service users. It is only available to members of SF&G and has an annual fee £60. You can find out more here.
Keeping you informed
- Regular e-newsletters with updates, funding opportunities, news and networking.
- Regional/country-specific updates with information relevant to your location.
- Expert resources on our website to help you develop your work.
We don’t offer insurance advice, but we do work with an independent insurance broker who offer specialist insurance advice and exclusive rates to our members. Details of how to contact the broker are provided to members on joining.
Membership discounts and offers
- Discounts with a selection of suppliers on a variety of goods and services including seeds, tools and equipment.
- We also offer members discounts on SF&G services including feasibility studies, site design, community consultation, tailored training, facilitation, presentations and talks.
- Find out more about current discounts and offers here.
Funding and offers of support from the business world
SF&G has scoured the corporate sector to find out what support is available to community growers, care farms and city farms from the business world. The list of opportunities we have compiled is updated regularly and only made available to SF&G members.
We also work with carefully selected corporate partners to offer opportunities for members to win wonderful prizes for their sites. Find out more about current opportunities here.
Publicity and promotion
- Be included on our online map of SF&G members working to improve the lives and communities across the UK.
- Display our 'Member of SF&G' logo on your own website and promotional materials.
- Advertise your jobs on our website (normal cost to non-members £49 per advert).
- Feature in our publications – we are always on the lookout for good member case studies demonstrating good practice to help inspire others to get growing.
Great, we'd like to join...what else do we need to know?
We view membership as a partnership. Our combined experience, knowledge and skills are our greatest resource.
The only condition of ongoing membership is that you respond to our requests to check and update the information we hold about your organisation and the services it delivers. This information will be used to help us build an up to date picture of the benefits our membership collectively delivers and to lobby on behalf of the sector as a whole.