Billets Hart Allotment Association
This site has around 70 plots (full and half plots) which are bordered on 2 sides by the river Brent and accessed via Green Lane.
Originally a common meadow, it has historically been used for smallholdings and open pasture land over the centuries. It forms part of the land which was given by William Hobbayne in 1484 which led to the establishment of the Charity of William Hobbayne. The land was leased to the Hanwell District Council for use as an allotment garden in 1922. However, in 2008 The Charity decided to manage the allotments themselves to promote the community spirit and offer an opportunity for those residing in the postal district of Hanwell W7 to continue to grow their own food in a sustainable manner (and/or domestic livestock) Many people keep chickens for eggs and we also have 3 registered bee-keepers on the site.
In 2009, the Billets Hart Association was formed, of which every plot holder is a member. There is a committee of 9 elected plot holders, in addition 2 representatives of the William Hobbayne Charity act as Site Managers for the allotments. The purpose of the committee is to enable the self-management of the site, to ensure and promote a productive, co-ordinated and peaceful place for members to grow and cultivate their crops and to help those around them and in the community.