Are you passionate about the community growing sector and have charity or third sector experience at a strategic level? SF&G is seeking individuals to become trustees of the charity, helping to guide our work and contribute to our aims and objectives.
The Board of Directors (who are also charity Trustees) of SF&G has responsibility for setting the charity’s strategic direction, establishing policy and representing the charity at a UK level.
This is a fulfilling role that, whilst seeking to make the most of your skills and knowledge, will also provide potential for personal and professional development.
Terms of Office
SF&G Directors currently serve a maximum 3-year term; one third must stand down each year. Directors standing down may seek re-election for one further term of office. Newly elected Directors will serve from 1 April 2023 but will be invited to attend as observers at any Board meeting between the AGM and 1 April; an induction will also be arranged.
Composition of the Board
There is a maximum of 11 Trustees/Directors of whom 8 will be elected by the voting members and 3 will be appointed by the Board to fill any identified skills and experience gaps. One or more of those 3 places may be appointed from individuals nominated by members, or from elsewhere. The Board chooses a Chair, Vice Chair and Company Secretary.
As part of our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, SF&G wishes to strengthen the board to better reflect the diversity of our society. We welcome nominations from individuals who bring different backgrounds, perspectives and lived experience in addition to a range of skills.
Outline Duties of the Directors
• Contribute actively to giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, and ensuring that it operates in line with its charitable purpose and objects
• Attend at least 8 of the 11 Board meetings per year, with management present. Some are held face-to-face, but most by teleconference, it is essential to read the papers in advance of meetings
• In addition the Board meets monthly for ‘Board only’ meetings by teleconference
• Ensure that the charity complies with its legal and moral obligations
• Represent the charity at occasional national or regional events
• Serve on sub-groups of the Board as appropriate
• Keep informed of the activities of the charity and wider issues affecting its work.
Process of election
If you would like an informal discussion on what is involved, please get in touch using the contact details below. We can also put you in contact with the Chair and other Board members who will be happy to provide you with further information.
• Company Secretary, Caroline Hutton Tel: 07783 921 011 or email: [email protected]
• Nominations to be received via the form below (page 2) by email by midday 8 December 2022
• Nomination details and other AGM papers will be collated and circulated to all SF&G members, and voting papers to those members eligible to vote, on 15 December 2022
• Proxy voting by email with the closing date of midday Wednesday 18 January 2021.